Exercise comes in different forms. Don’t you know that swimming is one of the most effective forms of exercise? It is also the safest as it would be impossible for you to sustain injuries while swimming. Not to mention, swimming is a good body workout. If you want to stay in shape or want to lose some weight, you don’t need to go to the gym. All you need to do is to swim regularly and you will surely be on your way to a healthier you.
Below are the reasons why swimming would make a very good recreational activity.
· Swimming is for everybody – swimming is a recreational activity for everyone no matter what your age or size is. In fact, as early as infants and toddlers, parents enroll them in a swimming lesson. Even old age such as in their 70s and 80s stay in shape and swimming is one of the reasons. Swimming is not just a fun-filled recreational activity, it is also important for safety reasons.
· Swimming is a safe form of exercise – swimming is low impact, which makes it a very safe form of exercise. It is easy on the bones and joints. Not only will you be able to swim, but you can also perform simple exercises in water such as floats and weights. It is perfect for people with joint pain secondary to arthritis and other types of physical limitations.
· Swimming helps you lose weight – If you are trying to lose weight, then you should include swimming in your exercise routine. It will stimulate your body and increases your metabolism. A swimming time of at least two minutes three to four times a week can be a big help in reducing body weight and shedding off unwanted fats.
· Swimming is a relaxing activity – Swimming is a relaxing activity. Its effect on the body and mind is the same as that of meditation and yoga.
What to keep in mind when swimming?
Going on a recreational activity such as swimming can be relaxing for the body and mind. However, there are a few things to keep in mind. These include the following:
· Make sure that the temperature of the water is appropriate. Swimming in extremely cold water can be potentially dangerous to people with heart conditions, elderly, and other ailments. Swimming in extremely cold water can lead to hypothermia, thermal shock, and eventually death.
· Do not swim after eating. Doing so can increase the possibility of cramping as your body is still digesting the foods that you just consumed. After eating, you should rest for at least an hour before swimming.
Swimming is one of the best forms of recreational activities. It is not only good for the body and mind, but it is also an opportunity to bond with family and friends. Just make sure you observed safety measures when swimming, be it swimming in a pool or natural body of water such as lakes, rivers, and seas.